Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 40 minutes | Serves: 8 slices
Gluten Free | Vegan Friendly | Dairy Free | Free from Refined Sugar
A wholesome alternative recipe to use up the rhubarb in your garden. Healthier than a crumble, this mixed berry and rhubarb cake slice has the texture and flavour of a fruity bread.
Mixed Berry & Rhubarb Cake Tasting Notes
A fresh, fruity flavour that’s less like a sweet and more like a bread recipe packed with goodness. It has a crunchy edge to it that’ll remind you of a seeded loaf, with a slightly bitter finish that gives it a wonderful balance. You can sweeten up this recipe by drizzling it with a little maple or honey.
For harvesting Rhubarb:
Leave the vegetable to grow for one year before you harvest, then take the three largest stalks – wait for the leaves to fully open before you harvest the stalks between May and August. Gently twist the stems away from the base to harvest them.
- Rhubarb leaves are toxic – leave them out of your recipe
- Contains lots vitamins B, C and K, and minerals like magnesium, potassium, manganese and protein
- High in antioxidants
- The high fibre content helps to improve digestion, manage cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease
- Good source of dietary fibre
- High in polyphenols that may have positive effects on the heart